How To Set Realistic Goals
Goal setting is a concept that most of us are aware of and while it’s important to have goals in life, both big and small. It’s equally important to make sure those goals are realistic and actionable
Otherwise, you’ll only end up disappointed in yourself. So, In this article, I want to go over how to set realistic goals in order to help you achieve the things you want in your life.
Why Is Goal Setting So Hard?
We all have really good intentions when it comes to setting goals in our lives, however all to often we struggle to keep up the momentum, or we bite off more than we can chew and end up abandoning our goals.
In fact according to a study from the University of Scranton up to 92% of people will fail to achieve their goals and abandon them within 12 months of setting them. That’s an incredible statistic but at least you know if it’s happened to you that you aren’t alone!
So why is goal setting so hard for most of us? It’s the way we go about setting them and in part when we set them.
Many of us set our goals at the start of the new year when we are feeling encouraged and energised about the year ahead. This feeling of positivity and enthusiasm boosts our endorphin levels and makes us feel like we can either go big or go home when it comes to goal setting.
This is especially true if you are a Type A personality, where you have big ideas and the feeling of failure can be overwhelming and at times crushing.
So what you need to do is to find out how the other 8% do it so that you can replicate it and find yourself in their successful goal-setting club.
Top Tips On Goal Setting
So with all that being said how do you set realistic goals that you can successfully achieve?
- Set simple, specific achievable goals at first. Once you accomplish those, you can start setting bigger goals. It’s incredible how much achieving small goals can motivate you to go after the bigger goals.
- Write your goals down and refer to them often.
- This will help keep you on track. Make looking over your goals part of your daily ritual. Look over them with breakfast or when you are planning out your week and then think about what steps you can take toward them.
- Having them written down will allow you to look at them in detail and analyze them as you go along, it will also give you that feeling of satisfaction when you get to check them off!
- Talk to others about your goals and get their input. They can offer helpful advice or insights. More than that talking to others about your goals can be helpful in several ways. First, they may be able to offer helpful advice or insights. Second, it can hold you accountable and help keep you motivated. However don’t set any goals with the aim of pleasing others, this is important if you are a chronic people pleaser! Your goals should be for you and not make others happy
- Don’t be afraid to change your goals if necessary. Life is constantly changing and so should your goals. You don’t have to stick rigidly to the goals you set. If you find that your goals are no longer realistic or achievable, don’t be afraid to change them.
How To Know If Its Time To Change Your Goals?
Now for the part of goal setting that people can find really uncomfortable and that’s the part where you have to admit your goals either isn’t working or just aren’t the right ones for you anymore therefore it’s time to pivot your goals to ones that are a better fit for what you need and where you are in your life.
There are a few signs that it might be time to change your goals:
- You’re not making progress toward your goals.
- Your goals are no longer realistic or achievable.
- You’re not enjoying the process.
- You’re not feeling challenged.
If you notice any of these signs, it might be time to reassess your goals and make some changes. It could mean that you need to change the timescales you were working towards for your goals, or perhaps they might need some small tweaks or in some cases, they might need to be changed altogether.
That’s OK, remember that 8% we spoke about earlier, the ones who achieve their goals? One of the main things they all said that they did often was adjust their goals if they weren’t working the way they had hoped! They aren’t worried that they have to achieve perfection with their original goals to be a success, in fact, they know that losing that need for perfection and adjusting their goals is what will bring them success.
That’s because changing your goals isn’t failing, it’s helping set you up for success!
Goal Setting Success Awaits You
Setting realistic goals is important if you want to be successful. Take some time to assess your goals and make sure they are achievable. And don’t be afraid to change them if necessary. Life is constantly changing and so should your goals. Thanks for reading!
By following these tips, you’ll be on your way to setting realistic goals that will help you achieve success in life and allow you to live a life you love!